THE LUKE SYNDROME.

            I call it the Luke syndrome. It  means  you bring up an issue  that  draws attention to  your own imperfection. There is often is no need to mention the subject that inevitably  draws fire from a person or group. We do it often. It seems we all have a bit of self-destruction programmed into our psychic. This is how I first identified the Luke Syndrome and have witnessed it repeatedly. I recognize myself when I do it; usually too late to avoid the consequences. 

            A group of us were staying at a ski cabin near Mount Baker.The two actors  who illuminated  the Luke syndrome were Byron and Luke. Byron   is funny because he so rude. He comes from somewhere in England near Scotland where abruptness is the norm. Luke is a polite calm  individual. It was during breakfast  that  Luke casually asked Byron  when was the next  ski club next meeting?  I looked at my remaining   piece of toast and marmalade  reached  for my tea and waited for the  expected  tirade from  Byron.. There was a  quietness in the cabin. I  heard a door  bang upstairs and  some one flushed  the toilet. A dog barked  from an neighbouring  cabin. 

            Byron politely responded “Next Tuesday  6:30am at the “Air Affair Restaurant.”  Well, I do miss judge  people just like anyone. I felt  bad that my  behavioural prediction was off  but pleased for Luke. I finished my  toast  and  on cue the decimation of  Luke  started. 

            “ You never know what is going on Luke. Last week’s news letter had the time and place. It was the same with trip last month when you didn’t know about the bus pick up  And you were late with your renewal.”

            Byron  continued  for  little longer  pouring  tea with no sugar  and  did an admirable job of  smiting  poor Luke. There had been no need  for Luke to  ignite Byron but he had and am sure will do so in the future just like all of us. This was the original Luke Syndrome. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A silly executive decision

House keeping in Silicon Valley

Finding the New Sales Person